Cox & Stevens
Designer description Cox & Stevens
The history of the brand
Cox & Stevens was founded in 1905 by Daniel Cox, Irving Cox and Colonel Edwin Augustus Stevens Jr in New York City. The company originally sold boats together with design services. A quarter century later a separate company - Gibbs & Cox - was created for brokerage services. During the Second World War the studio moved to cooperation with the military, for which about 500 projects were implemented. After the 45th, the company continued its cooperation with the defense industry and also returned to the civil sector.
Sailboats, motor boats for military, commercial and private use - Cox & Stevens designed everything. Many solutions have been so successful that they are still used today in the shipbuilding industry.
Naval architecture, design and brokerage services have become the company's three main areas of work.
Cooperation with shipyards
The company became famous not only in the USA, but also in the Old World. Cox & Stevens worked on boats for Krupp Germaniawerft, Defoe, Manitowoc Sb, Lawley and others.
The studio designed reliable boats. For example, hardcore retro steamers such as the 83-meter Talitha and 72-meter Dona Amelia literally passed fire and water. The boats were built in the late 20s, managed to fight in the Second World War and are actively used even today.
The team .
In 1934 the talented naval architect Philip Rhodes came to the company and after the death of the chief designer Bruno Tornroth in 1935 he took his place. In 1947 the studio took his name - Philip L. Rhodes - and worked until 1974.
Write to us if
you want to add to the description.
Found an error?
Please report the error to us.
Disclaimer: The content of this website does not constitute a public offer, and itBoat shall not be held liable for incorrect or incomplete information contained herein. The information provided herein is collected from open sources and may contain distortions, errors, typos, and inaccuracies.